Urban and suburban sites present unique challenges for implementing or preserving riparian buffers. In this course, we focus on how to effectively design an aesthetically pleasing urban buffer that overcomes these challenges while helping meet water quality and habitat restoration goals. This interactive three-part workshop will combine online learning with an optional field trip to one of three sites in Virginia. Participants will then work collaboratively in small groups to develop a design for an urban buffer. The course will be led by CBLP instructors and guest speakers and will also cover:
- Introduction to riparian habitats and ecology
- Regulatory and legal considerations for working on urban buffers
- Common design challenges for urban buffers and strategies to address them
- Buffer case studies: inspiration for design
- Business and marketing opportunities
Limited partial scholarships available for individuals that live and/or work in the James River Watershed and/or Hampton Roads. If you are interested please email email@example.com prior to registration.
In partnership with: